Thursday, November 1, 2012

An Effective Communicator


 
                 "Understanding that we are all more powerful than we know -- that we are all connected to something bigger than ourselves -- is the real conversation I want to have. In many ways, it is the only conversation, I believe, truly worth having," Oprah Winfrey


           The first person that came to mind when I think of effective communication is Oprah Winfrey. The quote simply states it all. For twenty six years Oprah Winfrey has hosted her own internationally talk show. She has had the opportunity to interview and communicate with individuals from all over the world and all circuits of life experiences. Within these twenty six years Ms. Winfrey has build relationships and shared them with us all. She has manifested into one of the best communicators that the world publicly knows. Over the years she has communicated to me that conversations or more that just words but a deeper meaning of understanding others and yourself. Not only does she communicate effectively with those that she interviews or communicates with but she provides inspiration and knowledge that is essential to their daily living that many can relate to.

          Observing her style of communication she provides an environment that is welcoming first and is open to listening to the thoughts and comments of others. Very seldom have I ever seen her over talk someone or force her thoughts on others. She’s allows one to speak and be heard. For these reasons I believe  is why she has been so successful. She has actually allowed the openness of speaking and being heard along with the comfortability to do so. Like Ms. Winfrey I want others to feel comfortable with speaking with me because I am going to allow them to speak and be heard. Often times the only thing some people need is to be heard without others passing judgment and or speaking over them. Like Ms. Winfrey displays effective listening skills I too want to learn to be an effective listener. Effective listening skills are a key component to effectively communicating with others.

3 comments:

  1. So true, so true! If we were all better listeners I believe so many conflicts could be avoided! I too hope to improve this skill throughout this course.
    The problem I seem to have when "communicating" with young children is failing to really listen to what they are saying because I get impatient or frustrated, but you are right - most of the time, they just want someone to listen; we all do. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Oprah Winfrey is a phenomenal communicator! She seems to have a great understanding about people. She knows when and how to listen and when and how to speak. Listening is sometimes more important than speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the most important aspects and one that is quite often overlooked is the ability to listen and listen intently without forming your own response while the other person is talking (which is something I often do...yes, I'm guilty). She is a person who not only speaks exceptionally well but also exercises the skill of listening to the thoughts of others.

    ReplyDelete