Saturday, November 17, 2012

Communication and Culture



I often speak differently depending on the group of people and the setting that I am in. The jargon and the tone in which I use varies.  I try to consider the reactions as well as the body language that I my receive from others when communicating with them. With some of my colleagues I speak in a more professional manner and us different verbiage than what I use when speaking to my friends. Even with some of my older family members I also speak different with them.

In my opinion I put forth a great effort to be an effective communicator with individuals and specific groups. When I am speaking with ESL Learners I focus more on what they are saying and proceed following up with what they are saying.

Three strategies that I could use to be an effective communicator with people or groups:

1. When speaking to different groups of people make sure that your language is clear and relatable. Language should be intelligible but in simple terms so that others are able to interpret what you are saying. You know what you are saying but do others understand.

2. Get to the most valuable point when speaking to others. Do not get off subject of the message that is truly to be gotten across. This can confuse the person that is being spoken to.

3. Be a good listener and let others also speak. It is important to show interest in the other person and also allow them to continue to the conversation. It is important not to dominate the conversation and allow others to equally offer input into the conversation.

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie, you make some very practical suggestions for effective communication. I did forget that my communication differs depending on the setting - I do use a varied vocabulary that is more appropriate to the environment. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    I find that monitoring nonverbal cues can be effective. It is equally important to learn about the cultures of others as well. For example, I have learned that many Hispanic parents will smile and nod even when they don't understand. Therefore, it is important to know the verbal and nonverbal cues of diverse cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,

    Your first suggestion reminds of the Platinum Rule that we learned about this week. Just because we may know what we are saying, others may be completely lost. That is why it is important that we communicate with others on their level of understanding. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete