Sunday, December 2, 2012

Conflict Resolution


Most of my disagreements occur mostly with my husband. I typically don’t have disagreements with  anyone other than him.  The most recent disagreement was about him thinking that I am always on the phone. Of course I see things differently and attempted to explain myself. He just couldn’t see my point of view. To end it all and prevent myself from getting upset I ended the verbal disagreement with yes you are right and allowed the disagreement to end in silence.

From this week’s reading there are  two strategies that I could have used to better handle the situation. ow

I could have not disregarded his feelings and could have been more empathetic of his feelings. There is a reason he felt the need to voice his opinion.  I could have listen more.

I could have also acknowledged and talked more about the problem .  I was not  very attentive but more defensive to what he was saying. I felt as he was attacking me. Going forward I must change if I want him to change. I must be the better person and utilize tools of an effective communicator.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie,

    I think we have most of our disagreements with people we are closest to. It is good that you were able to see where you could improve on your side. Being transparent and looking at our own actions during a disagreement is not an easy thing, especially when we feel are not wrong.

    ReplyDelete