Thursday, October 18, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around the World


 

My family is a family relocating from Bangladesh.

In preparation of providing an environment that is culturally responsive toward the family:

1.          I would find out about the families culture, background, their history and experiences of different groups from their country. This would help me to better understand the family and their culture.

 

2.          I would also assess my classroom and arrange it so that there are multiple diverse materials and visuals that connect with the child. Some of the materials would be toys, posters, games, dramatic play props, and multicultural books.

 

3.          It would also be important that I meet with the parents so that we can discuss their goals for their child and child’s interest. Meeting one on one with the parents would allow me another opportunity to learn more about them and the needs of their child.

 

4.          I would also develop and provide multiple instructional approaches that will help accommodate the students learning style.

 

 

5.          I also feel that it would be important that I integrate the family’s home language with the English language through song, stories, and classroom labeling. This will allow the child to feel more comfortable with the classroom setting.

 

Through these preparations I hope to provide a quality school experience that sets a strong foundation of good health, growth and success in education for the family’s child as well as other children within the classroom environment. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I agree with you it is so important to meet the family in this situation. They can give you the insight needed to connect with their child and also inform you on needed issues about their family. This is one reason I love doing home visits. You are able to get a view into their culture.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing what you would do with your new family. I think that the most important thing that we need to have is ensuring that we have appropriate conversations with the family letting them know that we have their best interest at heart. Also, make the environment warm and home like for the family. All parents like to know that their child is in a good place (home away from home).

    ReplyDelete