Saturday, September 15, 2012

My Family Culture


The three items that I would take with me would be my bible, family photo album, and our family recipe book.
Our Christian faith and values hold my family together like glue. From as long as I could remember I would be in church from sun up to sun down on Sunday. On Saturday growing up I was required to be involved in the choir or a form of service offering my praises to the Lord. On Wednesday after school there was bible study. Continuously praising and worshipping God has helped model me into the one I am today.
On the first and third Sunday of every month my great grandmother would cook for our pastor. My great grandmother was said to be the best cook in town.  Gathering as a family and community is also essential to my soul. We would eat, listen to old stories and enjoy the company of one another. As a child I loved when the holidays came around and all of my family was together.
 
 The last item would be a photo album of my family. This album has captured many of the most memorable moments that we have encountered together. 
If I were told that I could only keep one item. It would be very difficult. The one item that I think I would keep would be the family cookbook. I feel that the recipes would allow me to reflect on the many celebrations, connections, and the unity that my family and I share. Thinking back on our family cookbook reminds me of my great grandmother who instilled so many strong  values within me.

3 comments:

  1. I see alot of us have something in common. We chose to take our Bible's with us. I also choose to take family pictures with me. I like the idea of taking your family receipe book. I love reading cookbooks and trying new receipes but having your receipes that have been in your family through many holidays is special. Enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,
    Our faith really is a big part of what holds families together and many forget that. I like that you would take your family recipes because I could see how the food would bring back memories that could be passed on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,

    Like others have already stated, our faith is very important to us. Being uprooted to a new country will require a strong foundation. I also noticed how everyone chose one thing from a particular moment in their lives. You chose your family cookbook, I chose a lunchbox that contained precious memories, someone chose their wedding ring, etc. These are all items that take us back to a time in our lives that we will never forget.

    ReplyDelete