Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Personal Birthing Experience



 
The thought of birthing three children is an experience in itself. While carrying your unborn child you begin to think about the child’s future, you establish a bond, and dedicate your every breathe and move into providing proper prenatal can for a healthy developing baby. I anticipated the coming not considering the pain that I would bare in the process.



My first two deliveries compare nothing to my most recent one. One would think that I was well prepared and knew what to expect on my third go around. My third delivery it was extremely different.

The entire process happened so quickly. I went in for a weekly check and while there the doctor discovered that the baby’s heart rate had begun to drop. He immediately schedule for an induction 4:00 hours later from my visit. Within the four hour period I began to have contractions. At about 8:00 pm I arrived to the hospital.I began rounds of Pitocin to speed up contractions andantibiotics to protect the baby from contracting Group B Step. Around 12:30 am, boy did the contractions grow at a steady pace.

I allowed myself to nap for a little until finally they began to hit me again. I cringed at every contraction I felt, began to have deep hot flashes and felt very faint. Before we knew it my water had broken and contractions began to get worse. The grand finale was about to occur and my doctor was nowhere in sight. Sooner than we knew it I began screaming, pushing and attempting to break my husband’s arm. All the pain and screaming all came to an end at 4:30 am on June 9, 2010. We were blessed with a beautiful healthy little girl, Peylyn. Regardless of all the pain I endured and feeling as my life was coming to an end it was still a beautiful experience.

My third delivery was different from the other particularly because I did not receive any anesthetic or epidural. I am so afraid of the side effects that can occur. In the past I cried and stressed out more about getting the anesthetic than going through the birthing process.



I found that decision to deliver without any painkillers is very common in other countries compared to the United States. Like Dutch and German women, the majority of Japanese women strive to give birth without the use of painkillers. It is a belief among Japanese that labor pains act as a kind of test that a woman must endure in preparation for the challenging role of motherhood.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    I enjoyed reading about your experience. I could tell from reading, you expressed a mix of emotions prior, during and after delievery. Do you think because of the unplanned happenings you were under more stress and had a more difficult labor? I have heard the old wives tales over the years about the more children a woman has- the easier it gets. What is your opinion on that ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,
    What an amazing story. I can't imagine the stress and fear you must of felt when you heard the baby's heart rate was dropping. I am so happy for that everything turned out well she is a beautiful little girl! I am hearing more of my friends say that they were not going to use pain medications for the same reason you did not, the fear of the side effects it would have. It seems this trend is becoming more popular.

    ReplyDelete